Soreness in arm and shoulder after injury. Noticed purple coloring under ankle. What could it be?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: my partner fell from a 2nd story height. He landed on his arm and shoulder. He is muscle'ly so that area is sore and tender, yet no brusing or reddnist. The skafulling fell on his legs, with the fall. He got scrapes on both upper shins.
That was 6 days ago, he seems to be doing much better moving his arms around. There is no pain in his legs, except the scrapes. We found a purple-ish coloring under the right ankle, that wasn't there before. He says there is no pain, still.
What could this purple-ish coloring be?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting the query.
It is good to note that your partner did not suffer any significant injury after the fall and is recovering fairly well.
The most likely cause for the purple-ish discoloration near his ankle is bleeding in the skin. This would have resulted due to a minor trauma during/after the fall, which went un-noticed.
As there is no pain or swelling, there is no need to worry. It should resolve on its own in a few days.
Hope it helps. Please get back if you have any further queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM