Owl Image

Sore vagina after tummy tuck surgery. Tested positive for HPV2. What should I do?

Owl Image
Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Question
genital herpesI'm a 58 year old women. Nov.1st I had a tummy tuck. 2 days after the surgery I developed a sore in my vagina. I went to my gyno and she said it looked like herpes? she took a scrapping and it came back that it was in fact hpv2. i was shocked and very upset. i was married 25 years and my husband died 9 years ago. i remarried 2 years later for 26 months and hadn't had sex after that for 5 years. This year i had sex with 2 different men and did not use protection. I did not have any sores after I had sex with them. I made the doctor run a test to see if i had this hpv1 and 2. and i did to my surprise. i never even had a cold sore. #1. is it possible never to have a sign until now and #2 how do i explain this to these 2 men i had sex with? I am so embarrassed.
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

1.According to your description the possibilities are:
Sometimes when a person gets infected with herpes type 2, she will not show any symptoms. And the virus remains the nerve cells of genital tract and remains in latent phase.
When the immunity of the person decreases because of illness, recent surgeries etc. the virus will become reactivated and leads to first outbreak of symptomatic genital herpes.
This reactivation can occur months and years after initial infection.

Reference: WWW.WWWW.WW
2.As you didn't have active infection when you had intercourse with the two men, the chance of transmission is very less. So no need to tell if they are not having any symptoms. But avoid intercourse till you completely get cured of herpes.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Sore vagina after tummy tuck surgery. Tested positive for HPV2. What should I do? 3 days later
why hasn't anyone gotten back
to me????? it is way over 24 hours.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 21 hours later

Please ask your question. I will be available to answer your query.
Wish you Good Health, Take care.