Sore throat, whispering voice, no cough, liver problem. Treatment?

Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My age is 33 years. I am feeling sore throat, seems like a throat infection since yesterday. There is no cough, just dry and blockage feeling. My voice is not coming out clearly, just whispering. Please advise mild medicine as I do not take much medicines due to liver problem two year back, however now my liver is fine.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Your symptoms are suggestive of viral or Bacterial infection. It is very common in this period of the year. It could be acquired due to contaminated food, water or others. A Viral infection is self limiting and would reduce within 5 days while for bacterial infection there is need for antibiotics.

Low pitch voice could be due to mild inflammation of your vocal cords, which is common at times with sore throat.

It would be better to get examined by an ENT specialist as you would require a course of Antibiotics depending upon the function of your liver.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
1.Avoid refrigerated foods, water and cold drinks
2.Avoid excess speech as the vocal cords would heal if rested
3.Consume boiled water
4.Salt water gargles three to four times a day
5.Steam inhalation for your nasal blockage alteast three times a day.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.
Follow up: Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later
As per my latest tests my liver is working absolutely fine. Please suggest some medicine for the time being as today is sunday and i can only see a doctor tomorrow evening....I have to go to my office tomorrow morning and require some immediate relief. This gargle and steam has not helped me since yesterday. I am already taking all above precautions.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 53 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Good to see you back.

You can take tablet paracetamol 500mg,three times in a day.

You may also try other anticold tablets which are available freely at medical stores near your locality. You may take them along with paracetamol. The anti cold tablets may have some sedative effect. So it's better that you take tablet paracetamol in day time and anti cold tablets in evening or night.

Apart from this throat gargling with warm salt water thrice a day will be beneficial in reducing symptoms of sore throat. Alternatively, you can gargle disprin tablets mixed with warm water thrice a day ( DISPRIN mixed with water is for gargling not consuming)

Diet and hydration is also very important, so take care of that part also.

Your symptoms are expected to improve in 2-3 days time.

Wish you speedy recovery

Regards.