Sore throat, sinus drainage, excessive salivation, bumps on tongue. On antibiotics

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: its been around 6 months we have a wood stove and my throat is sore i also have sinus drainage and exessive saliva feels like i have something stuck or moving in my throat i recentley quit smoking also. it feels itchy also my tonugue has bumps and so does back of throat.i also had a tooth pulled 3 mos ago and was on antibotics that seemed to make it better than it got worse.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. A Post Nasal Drip will usually be due to nasal obstruction or sinusitis. Allergy to smoke from a wood stove may exist. Get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) with 1 mm coronal , axial and sagittal views done.

2. A Post Nasal drip also infects the throat and oral cavity / tongue (causing sore throat) and may increase acidity and acid reflux leading to excessive salivary production.

3. Hence they may be related in a vicious cycle which may be disrupted by medication. However this should be under medical supervision after your test results.

4. This is because there is always the possibility of rarer causes of excessive salivary secretion such as concurrent medication, certain foodstuff, oral ulcers, hormonal imbalance, liver and pancreatic diseases, parkinsonism and so on being possible causes which must be ruled out.

5. It is good to hear that you have stopped smoking. In five years, your health risk from smoking reduces to that of a non smoker.

6. After a recent upper tooth extraction, there is a risk of an oro-antral fistula leading to an infected maxillary sinus. Was it as upper jaw tooth?

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
HI,
No it was not. But i have on on upper that does need to be pulled and could possibley be infected. Thank you for answering quickley. I was stressing my self out thinking that i may have throat cancer or something along those lines. This isnt good either but it has calmed my nerves a great deal. Have a wonderful day/evening.

Thank You,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The infected upper tooth must be treated as a possible source of infection.

2. Resistant infections must be ruled out with culture and antibiotic sensitivity tests.

3. Get the above mentioned investigations done.

4. Acid reflux requires many weeks of treatment and diet control.

5. Imaging studies (such as an ultrasound or scans) are of use only to detect any deeper connections or related external masses in the neck. Routine blood tests may be advised by your physician.

6. The simplest course of action will be a course of antibiotics, anti-allergics, anti-inflammatory agents, mucolytics, steam inhalation, medicated gargles and anti-reflux medication..

7. I must emphasize that the chance of a cancer at your age is low. Cancer will be progressive and will not respond to medication.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.