Sore throat, headache, congestion, runny nose and fatigued. What am I suffering from?

Dr. Ravinder Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Started with a sore throat on right side. Then I got fatigue for about 3 days and sore throat went away leaving nasal congestion, post nasal drip, and runny nose. I went to work and I felt less fatigued but my sore throat came back. This time it was on the left side. I've been sick since about Dec. 23rd. Which made matters worse was when I did an Internet search Some stds popped up as possible illnesses. This has given me strong anxiety and may be causing me to focus on normal pains and discomfort. I have had no fever that I have found. My throat is red and when I very first started feeling ill I had really thick almost bubbly saliva. I seem to be swallowing and spitting a lot and I have had headaches some days. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 46 minutes later
Hello
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears your problem may be related to a problem in the nose and paranasal sinuses. The focus of infection appears to be in the nose and paranasal sinuses which has caused problem in your throat first on one side and then on other side. I would advise you for a ENT consultation and a sinus X XXXXXXX to resolve the issue. Once a diagnosis is made right treatment can be started.
About your concerns about the STDs as a cause of symptoms I would ask you about any exposure in recent past. Please send me a follow up question about it (if it is so)

Another possibility could be because of a acute infection of throat. But association with headache means that there are more chances that it is associated with nose or sinuses.
I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you need more information about it

with warm regards
Ravinder Sharma
Follow up: Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
There has been times when exposure to an std could have happened over the last year. However, the only reason I suspect that is that google kept bringing up possibilities based on my symptoms searching. I was wondering if it might be mono or strep throat?
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 20 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up query

Infectious mononeucleosus is also called as kissing disease and this is one of the possibility if there is a history of exposure to a person infected with Ebstein Barr Virus. It is associated with sore throat, pain in throat, exposure history, pain in abdomen and rash in response to the antibiotics (Penicillin/Cephalosporin) usage.

I would suggest you that you should not rely on google search when you are asking a specific question from a specialist.

Streptococcal infection is associated with pain in throat, pain in throat and fever.

I hope this answers your concerns. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma
Follow up: Dr. Ravinder Sharma 25 hours later
Ok so my cough has changed a bit and feels to be a little deeper. I can feel it in my chest now. I have developed a slight dull pain below the waist in the upper pubic area. Also two nights ago I slipped a little while getting in the shower. I'm not sure if those two are related or if there is more to it like a uti.
Would the pelvic area pain possibly be an injured abdominal muscle. It feels similar to the pain caused by a testicle being struck. It does feel a little more XXXXXXX than the abdomen and I have noticed now very dull pain in my testicles. Are these symptoms consistent with one illness or is it possible there are multiple issues?
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 4 hours later
Thanks for a follow up query
It appears that you will require a chest X XXXXXXX fro cough
For the pelvic area it may be because of the injury (as there is history of injury) causing injury to muscles and testicles or may be a infection of the testes or UTI (because of STD) but it will be appropriate to consult a family physician and discuss the symptoms. Examination of Urine and a Ultrasound of the lower abdomen may be required to reach a diagnosis.

Once a diagnosis is made right treatment can be started

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma