Sore throat and rashes on hands after protected intercourse. Prescribed antibiotic for pharyngitis. Any advice?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi Sir,
I had protected sex with a sex worker on 09/06/2012 and after two days I had flue like symptoms,sore throat and then after few days I had mosuite bite like rashes on my hand .I checked with doctor who did blood test and diagnosed as Phyrengites and prescribed antibiotics.My blood test revealed typhoid too.After taking medicine all typhoids was cured.But had muscle pain,pain in armpit and groin area.i did HIV test and VDRL test on 3/09/2012 i.e aftre 85 days, HIV elisa test came out negative and also VDRL test was negative.I did this test in a private clinic.Again went to doctor to show all the reports as my symptoms were still there.He said nothing was there for me to panic and my symptoms were due to panic or anxiety with in. He again give me some antibiotics but still today I have occassional testicle or groin pain, on and off sore throat and occassional abdominal pain.And also chilled sensation feeling all over body occassionally.Pls advise
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

HIV and VDRL test after completion of 12 weeks is almost conclusive that you are not having HIV.
Symptoms of pain in arm pit, groin area not specific to HIV. Sore throat and Flu like symptoms immediately 2 days after the exposure is not possible due to HIV. Early HIV symptoms can occur only after 4 weeks after the infection. Moreover your exposure is a protected one.

The testicular and groin pain may be associated with the feeling of chillness (Rigor) due to epidydimitis. It is also not due to HIV but may be due to tuberculosis, Filariasis, urinary tract infection etc. You have to consult a physician and he/she will help you to rule out these possibilities.

So you are not having HIV. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 15 hours later
Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot.I really satisfied with your answer.

However I would like to bring certain more details for your further investigation.

09/06 was my only exposure(only one in my life)She was a very clean , she did protected oral sex and then she did protected sex.But she spray something on the condom before sex which irritated my penis area.But i noticed the condom was not damaged because semen was inside it when i removed.

11/06 flu like symptoms:I was very very tired before sex and exhausted and also on 10/06 i slept infrom of a/c too , in the night i had developed sore throat.

12/06: Felt my fingures had numbed, pin pricking feeling on my feet .

15/06:Felt rashed on palm that looked like mosquito bite.

I had pain in throat, shoulder,felt like hollow of collar bone swelling.

Went to doctor who did normal blood test and said phyrengites and felt swelling in the hollow was not lymph nods swelling.He did physical examination.

After some days rashed went away,fever was due to typhoid which also went away.
Then I had jaw pain,groin and armpit pain too.

Now there is not jaw pain but some pain around neck, armpit,collar bone area,groin(all occassional)

I did HIV ,VDRL test after 85 days all negative.

I am attaching some reports for your reference.

My question:-
1)Do you think I should test for some other std also like gonoreah ,syohillis, hepattatis,herps,chlymodile etc.

I dont think I hiv, I agree with you
2)Does chronic phyrengites lead to all the symptoms that I mentioned above.
3)Do you think tuberculosis, Filariasis, urinary tract infection etc show all the symptoms that u mentioned above?

Pls advise.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome back with your follow up questions.

As you had protected sex during both vaginal and oral sex the possibility of HIV / STD are unlikely. Moreover your symptoms of sore throat and flu started within two days of sex contact - this is unlikely to be due to HIV; as the earliest HIV manifestation will take not less than 4 weeks.

Pharyngitis due STD causes also unlikely here presuming the condom was used and was consistently used from the beginning to end. Besides that all your tests are within normal limits. Therefore it is unlikely to be related to STD / HIV

Spray over condom may either be a lubricant or a spermicidal chemical which may irritate your penile skin as well as the throat.

1.If you have any persisting symptoms of throat pain or ulcers, further tests like culture for Gonorrhea and test for chlamydia, HSV (Herpes) antibody tests may be necessary. Otherwise tests for STD are not necessary.

2. Chronic pharyngitis can be treated with throat swab and culture and sensitive test.

3. If you have scrotal pain or groin pain the you have to consult a surgeon and with his guidance you have to investigate the cause and get treated.

You will be alright soon.

Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad