Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Sore throat after having protected sex. Is this a symptom of HIV?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 474 Questions
Hi doctor, Yesterday I had sex with a prostitue with lasted for 2-3 mints. I was wearing a condom while performing sex and didn't had any oral sex.but since yesterday I am feeling soreness in my throat..also feel like having a lymp in my throat..I am fearing I might have developed HIV or some STD...please let me know what are the tests I should undergo to confirm if I have been infected
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello Thanks for your Query. Detailed Answer: From the history that you have provided it looks like you might have got acute pharyngitis and this may not indicate an STD NOR HIV . Do not worry about it . Please do the following tests : CBC CRP ESR HIV DUO test PRP antigen and ELISA HIV done above Hepatitis C antigen Hepatitis B antibody Swab test for bacteria microscopy and culture The above tests are detailed STD profile and general tests done in case of pharyngitis or sore throat. Thanks and take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Sore throat after having protected sex. Is this a symptom of HIV? 7 minutes later
Can I get the tests done immediately or should I wait for some time.also this is the first time I ever had sex.also one couple of more symptoms I forget to mention.I am having little pain in my teeth and also having tiredness in eyes.what is the treatment for pharyngitis. Hi doctor, can you please provide me your number so that I can talk in detail
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for your query Detailed Answer: You can get the test done immediately . There is no need to wait. Treatment for pharyngitis includes: Oral intake of an antibiotic like Azithromycin which will need a prescription from your Doctor. You can also take over the counter paracetamol once daily to reduce the inflammation. Warm water gargles. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Sore throat after having protected sex. Is this a symptom of HIV? 12 minutes later
Thanks a lot for the reply doctor, I read on internet that to confirm if I am infected with HIV or STD I need to wait for at least 3 months to get accurate will be the results if I get the tests done now only and should I repeat the tests again.I am really mouth smells and tastes bad and I had a few drops of water(like in cold) coming out. I mean water from nose. Also I have little irritation in my abdominal region
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 days later
Brief Answer: I would assist you with your query Detailed Answer: Thank you for your messages. Your symptoms of water from nose and little irritation in the abdomen are not indicative or diagnostic nor suggestive of HIV . You can get the test done now. You do not need to wait for 3 months . After 3 months you should repeat the test to check and compare the baseline test which you can do today . Thanks and Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor