Sore swollen itchy ear and liquid discharge from it. What should I do?

Dr. Samik Basu

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My ear has been slightly swollen, itchy and sore and occasionally has a clear liquid coming from it. What can I do for it?
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

There are a few questions you need to answer .
1) Is your outer ear itchy and swollen or the inner part of your ear?
2) Is the liquid coming out from the inner parts of your ear?
3) Are you feeling any ear ache or loss of hearing?

If it's an external ear problem apply some local antibiotic ointment and take an antihistamine for some days. But if you have the above symptoms then you have an infection for which you need an oral antibiotic for 10 days. An ENT consult will be needed.

Take care not to allow water enter the ears during baths.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further clarifications

Wishing you a speedy recovery...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Samik Basu 1 hour later
Both inside and outside my ear are swollen.

The liquid seems to be coming from inside my ear.

My ear is sore, I haven't really noticed a loss of hearing.

Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 19 minutes later
Thanks for updating.

You seem to have an active infection. Since the infection involves the auditory meatus/middle ear, you will need oral antibiotics for a week or more. Therefore I urge you to consult an ENT surgeon at the earliest.

Avoid installing ear drops / probing the ear. Keep the ear clean dnd dry. You should recover soon.