Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

123 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Sore swollen itchy ear and liquid discharge from it. What should I do?

Answered by
Dr. Samik Basu


Practicing since :1999

Answered : 711 Questions

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My ear has been slightly swollen, itchy and sore and occasionally has a clear liquid coming from it. What can I do for it?
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

There are a few questions you need to answer .
1) Is your outer ear itchy and swollen or the inner part of your ear?
2) Is the liquid coming out from the inner parts of your ear?
3) Are you feeling any ear ache or loss of hearing?

If it's an external ear problem apply some local antibiotic ointment and take an antihistamine for some days. But if you have the above symptoms then you have an infection for which you need an oral antibiotic for 10 days. An ENT consult will be needed.

Take care not to allow water enter the ears during baths.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further clarifications

Wishing you a speedy recovery...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Samik Basu 1 hour later
Both inside and outside my ear are swollen.

The liquid seems to be coming from inside my ear.

My ear is sore, I haven't really noticed a loss of hearing.

Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 19 minutes later
Thanks for updating.

You seem to have an active infection. Since the infection involves the auditory meatus/middle ear, you will need oral antibiotics for a week or more. Therefore I urge you to consult an ENT surgeon at the earliest.

Avoid installing ear drops / probing the ear. Keep the ear clean dnd dry. You should recover soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on Otalgia

doctor1 MD

Age 38, Female. 5' 7'', 130 lbs. Hello doctor, I am a chronic worrier and hypochondriac, and for the last couple months I am convinced I have throat cancer. Yes, I am a smoker and I tend to smoke more when I am nervous about stuff like this. Used to drink and party in my 20's but now I barely touch alcohol. It all started about 2 months ago, had this funny "ache" right below my left ear. Could barely feel it, but it was enough to make me start worrying. It's weird, but it almost seems worse when I have an empty stomach. (I also have acid reflux.) Just a couple days ago, I noticed the tonsil on the same side as the pain (left) has about 3 white dots on it, one looks kind of raised and inflamed. Then that little flap after the tonsil (right next to the uvula) has 2 tiny, tiny pimples on it, same color as the tonsil. I have no sore throat. The pain in now regular ear pain, like when I get my ear infections. I showed my throat to my Mom who is a nurse, and she said it's nothing, just infection. My tonsils are both about the same size. I talked to my Uncle who is a doctor, and he said I'm too young for throat cancer, that my voice would be hoarse if I did, and the whole thing sounds like a virus that settled in that general area. But I still don't believe anybody. Oh, and the more I get scared and concentrate on it, the pain gets INCREDIBLY worse in my starts stabbing and pinching. When I settle down and tell myself it's not cancer, the pain almost goes away. Tylenol also knocks the pain out for hours. (???) What do you think is going on? I DO still have the white dots on the tonsil and the 2 little raised bumps.... Thanks!!

doctor1 MD

Could snorting cocaine cause damage to my eustachian tube? I have had weird popping in my ear and pain occasionally after a heavy weekend of snorting drugs...this started approximately a year after using the drug on weekends. I would easily go through 2 grams in a night (about 12 hours). The odd sensation in my ear (deep in my ear) seems to be getting worse each time. I will sometimes have a very bad ear ache for 2 days after, with some loss of hearing. My doctor has looked in my ear and said everything looks fine. The most annoying part is the popping...which I can actually make happen if I breath a certain way or swallow or open my mouth (and I don t have to open it far. I would very much appreciate some comments on this. I am not looking for advice really, just want to know if this is possible.

doctor1 MD

hello doctor,im 41 year old,male.having ear(rt) ache past 3days,pain felt in the evenings/before going to bed(11pm)/or before getting sleep.i have the history of ear pain before(few times)treated with ciprox.had syringing done once in 2000......your advice please

doctor1 MD

My 10 year old daughter has had an earache for about the last 12 hours. She isn't running fever but is in quite a bit of pain in her ear. I noticed a small lump under her ear around the back of her jaw. I was going to use Similisan ear relief but was wondering if this would work?

doctor1 MD

Thank you, injury to external auditory canal and tympanic membrane after ear lavage for wax removal. Ecchymosis of external auditory canal near tympanic membrane (membrane intact but some bruising), Ear lavage done at WLA Kaiser on 6/20/17. LVN...

doctor1 MD

Need to understand location of cranial nerve in thyroid and if 2cm nodule could be causing ear, throat and sometimes head pain . Doctors say they are not related yet online forums full of people with the same symptoms. Want to understand why...

doctor1 MD

I had cough and cold 2 weeks back and visited a ENT specialist . He told me I have heavy congestion of cough in my chest and gave me medicines. I took them for few days and felt better. for past 2-3 days, I have pain in my left side of throat and...