Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Sore like white pimple on inside cheeks. Diagnosed tongue cancer. What can be the reason, oral cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I have a tiny to small sore that looks like a white pimple on the inside of one cheek adjacent to top molars which I noticed yesterday, as it was quite tender. The soreness seems a bit better today, but I still keep feeling that "pimple" (for lack of a better word) with my tongue. I quite often accidentally bite my cheek on that side but don't think I've ever had a resulting sore that is this circular and raised with what seems like almost a "head" on top, in other words what looks almost exactly like a pimple but white in color. (I recently had an acquaintance (a longtime smoker) diagnosed with tongue cancer and the treatment was quite drastic, so being something of a worry wart I am now wondering if I have an oral cancer!!!). Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 6 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

Given your history of accidental biting of cheek often, this pimple like white bump on the cheek can be a canker sore. Cancer of the mouth is usually painless.

Mouth ulcers or canker sores can be due to stress, eating certain foods like citrus or acidic fruits and vegetables, or nutritional deficiencies like vitamin B-12, zinc, folic acid or iron deficiency.

For mouth ulcers, you can follow these treatment methods:

1)     Maintain oral hygiene and avoid spicy or acidic foods like colas, juices etc at this time.

2)     Eat a soft, bland diet to reduce the pain and drink plenty of fluids.

3)     Avoid salty foods, citrus fruits and foods that need chewing.

4)     Drink plenty of fluids to avoid any dehydration.

5)     You can take some vitamin supplements (vitamin B)after consulting your doctor as it will help in improving the symptoms.

6)     You can use numbing ointments, such as benzocaine, anti-inflammatory (steroid) gels, benadryl allergy liquid mouthwash and oral preparations of steroids after consulting your doctor.

7)     For soothing effects you can also use over the counter lozenges.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor