Owl Image

Sore breast, bloated, stomachache and lower back pain after period. HPT negative. Concerned

Owl Image
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Question
My period started on Sunday which was very light until Tuesday morning when I had spotting until yesterday.my boobs are really sore and I am bloated and have lower back pain.also pain in my lower stomach;a bit like a dragging feeling.intercourse today was sore so had to stop.i did a pregnancy test as we are trying for another baby and it was negative.something just doesn't feel right though.can you help?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Hello

Home urine pregnancy tests are 97 % accurate in diagnosing a pregnancy if done at the proper time. Since you tested a few days after your period, there is only a 3 % chance that it is showing you a wrong result.
The only way to confirm a pregnancy for sure would be to visit a gynecologist and undergo examination/ultrasound/blood tests as suggested.
I would further recommend a checkup because there are certain other causes of such post menstrual spotting, and light periods, which should be ruled out.

One factor is age related , because normally females start experiencing pre menopausal symptoms by the age of 40, and you are headed there, agewise. This could lead to irregular bleeding, altered bleeding, lighter periods, erratic spotting etc.
Another reason is any kind of stress, anxiety, weight fluctuations or emotional upheavals.
Thyroid , adrenal hormone dysfunction or deranged blood sugars might present this way.
Also, any kind of medications you might be consuming might affect the normal menstrual cycles.
Polycystic ovaries of defect in the uterus might lead to such presentation also.
As you had dryness and soreness in intercourse, it indicates a hormonal imbalance, which is most common at your age, and explains the spotting too.

Please consult a gynecologist, for knowing exact cause and treatment plan accordingly, and also, as you wish to conceive, as at 38, that also requires intensive investigations and prompt treatment

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.