Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Some dental work done. Started suffering from burning and throbbing sensation. Is there anything that can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2610 Questions
5 years ago I underwent some dental work that called for alot of injections. Since then I have suffered from a burning, sometimes throbbing sensation on the left side of my tongue. No physician, dentist, oral surgeon or neurologist has been able to help me. I believe I suffer from lingual nerve damage. Do I have to live like this the rest of my life? Orabase helps deaden the pain for about 10 minutes or so, but nothing else works with the discomfort. Is there anything that can be done?
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 51 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

Lingual nerve injury or damage can result in numb tongue, tingling, or pain and burning in the tongue and inner mucosa of the mouth. It can be associated with tooth extraction of the wisdom teeth or dental anaesthetic injection (nerve block) for fillings and crowns.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.

Surgery is often used with success to treat lingual nerve injuries from trauma or tooth extraction. The literature indicates good results from early intervention. Though conservative treatment are not know to be very effective drugs like pain killers, capsaicin candies, gum chewing, topical Lidocaine can be tried. They are helpful in some cases.

I would suggest you to try the aforementioned drugs and see if you respond to them. However if you do not find them effective, consult oral surgeon who has significant experience in this type of surgery, as you want the best chance for a good outcome or complete cure. A local oral surgeon may be able to refer you to a surgeon who has expertise in this area.

Hope I have provided the information you needed. Let me know if you need any other information.

Wish you good health

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Some dental work done. Started suffering from burning and throbbing sensation. Is there anything that can be done? 9 hours later
Is there any chance this condition will go away on it's own? It's been almost 5 years now. There are times I think I will go crazy from it.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The incidence of injury varies in the literature from 1:30,000 up to 1:850,000 so it is such a rare event in the first place. It is very difficult to predict the chances of spontaneous recovery and in your case it is chronic symptom.

So again I advice you to see a oral surgeon for help.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.

Wish you good health.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor