Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Soft narrow bulge on lower left rib cage similar to swollen muscle under skin, did weight lifting. What?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I have had a soft narrow bulge on the lower left side of my rib cage. It is soft and it feels like a swollen muscle underneath the skin. I have no pain or discomfort. I did some weight lifting a few days ago some maybe I overdid it. Can you tell me what this might be?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Given your history that the lump is soft, it looks like a swollen muscle after weight lifting. The other possibility is of a swollen lymph node or a lipoma.

Apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killer like Ibuprofen after consulting your doctor.

Application of topical muscle relaxants will also help. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Did you have any recent bacterial or viral infection?

The swollen lump should be better with the anti inflammatory drugs. If it persists then you need to get a MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) of the area or a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lump done.

FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. This will confirm the diagnosis as to what is causing the lump.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor