So for the past couple of years I have been

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Mar 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: So for the past couple of years I have been waking up out of a dead sleep, with the NEED to vomit. It hasn’t been just a little nausea it has been run to the toilet and vomit now. At first it was every few months or so but recently it has gotten what feels like more recent. There is no correlation to what I am eating before bed, how long I wait to sleep after eating, none of that. What could possibly be wrong.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tell tale sign of duodenal ulcer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

As per your complaint, it seems that you are suffering from duodenal ulcers.A duodenal ulcer is a sore that forms in the lining of the duodenum. Duodenmum is a pipe which starts after stomach.Helicobacter pylori Is the Primary Cause of Duodenal Ulcer.Tell tale sign of this type of ulcer is that patient wakes up at midnight from sleep with a feeling of nausea that may be associated with vomiting heartburn etc.
Why?
As soon as food reaches stomach; acid is secreted from the parietal cells in stomach.This bolus takes 3 to 4 hours to reach duodenum. As soon as the bolus of food reaches duodenum it starts to secrete large amount of digestive juices which causes irritation of duodenal ulcers and patient wakes up and vomits.

Test suggested-
Endoscopy-Camera guided by wire would be inserted into duodenum via mouth to look for ulcers.

Till then take a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole 40 mg empty stomach once daily.
Take two tablets of antacid before taking heavy meals.
Follow up with reports of endoscopy.
Hope i was helpful,
Follow ups are welcome!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana