Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Sneezing, cold, watery eyes. Blood and eosinophilia tests normal. Taken anti-allergy medication. Permanent cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Hi Doc - i am a 36 yrs' old man, height 5' 9" weight 64 kgs. Started suffering from cold & running nose since last 1 year. Never had this kind of problem in my past. Initially, frequency was low, but now-a-days, it has increased to 3-4 times a week. I catch cold all of a sudden, with multiple heavy sneezing, running nose and watery eyes. One of the nasal packges gets blocked. It becomes difficult to sit. Trigger could be anything - walking bare-foot on cold floor, wet-hair, temp. change (AC / non-AC), or just anything. Doctors have told it is allergic. Blood & eosinophoelia tests were normal. Have also taken anti-allergy doses quite a few times. It does not help in the long run. What do i do ?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

You do suffer from classical symptoms of allergic Rhinitis and the treatment taken seems appropriate.

But since it is so frequently recurring, some the next steps would be,

1. To rule out other possibilities like deviated nasal sputum, hypertrophy of nasal turbinates, etc.
2. To see if steroid nasal sprays are effective in controlling the symptoms.

This can only be done if you get yourself examined by an ENT surgeon.

He can rule out any nasal problem by clinical examination and if required investigations like x-rays.

If allergic condition is confirmed after excluding other possibilities, then he can start appropriate treatment like steroids if indicated.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor