Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Sneezing and pain in adams apple, tender to touch. Remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2549 Questions
i sneazed and have a lot of pain in my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX very tender to touch and i keep loosing my voice
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Pain in the larynx after forceful sneezing is common,however it should subside soon without medication. If it does not, you should undergo a videolaryngoscopy initially and a GI endoscopy later. If you can share the images or video, I will be able to give you an accurate assessment of the hoarseness.

2. Loosing your voice off and on seems to be due to chronic laryngitis. The changes associated with chronic laryngitis and acid reflux are easily seen on videolaryngoscopy. Vocal cord edema may be managed by reducing reflux with medication such as proton pump inhibitors and anti-inflammatory medication including a short course of steroids.

3. It may be laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) as opposed to GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease). Get an abdominal ultrasound to rule out a hiatus (sliding) hernia. A gut motility disorder should be ruled out.

4. What is your BMI (Body Mass Index) ? It is also possible to do an esophageal manometry study?

5. Do you have any other symptoms of acid reflux such as dryness in throat, heartburn, epigastric pain, foreign body sensation in throat, headaches, dizziness and light headed feeling may be due to gastritis. Do you have any sinus and nasal symptoms (post nasal drip)?

6. What is your current medication? Kindly let me know the results of your investigations. This will help decide medication and further treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor