Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Smoking hookah. Having chest pain. How to get relief from chest pain?

Dec 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 4526 Questions
i am having chest pain. i used to smoke hookah regularly. I feel the chest pain from inside, also when i press it from oustide , it pains. Can you please guide me through the steps I need to take to stop this chest pain. I have quit smoking for past 1 week.
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 18 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Smoking hookah results in inhalation of nicotine and other alkaloids of tobacco. Long term smoking of any substance is harmful. It cause serious effects on lungs and heart. It also alter mental functions. Chest pain in your case may occur due to two type of main reasons-

- If you have developed the pains recently after quitting hookah then it is most likely due to withdrawal syndrome of tobacco. Individual may develop anxiety, pain in chest, restlessness, irritability, impaired cognition etc symptoms. The symptoms occur acutely for 1-4 weeks and in milder form may continue to present for even 6 months. If you are not able to work properly I would advise you to take low dose clonazepam like 0.25 mg to relieve anxiety and chest pain, for few days only. Along with this also take some antacid medicine like Pentoprazole 40mg in morning empty stomach.

- If chest pain is present since long duration then it might be due to inflammation of respiratory mucosa. I would like to advise you to get your Chest X XXXXXXX done to rule out any chronic inflammation. But apart from chest pain cough and breathlessness also occur in inflammation. Consult a good Physician if pain is not bearable.

If you have more questions you can ask again in follow up. Also let me know about duration of pain as well as nature of pain, if it is present continuously or present episodically.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor