Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

165 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Smoking and have lost interest in sex. Feeling very tired after work. What could be the reason?

Answered by
Dr. Ashish Mittal


Practicing since :2004

Answered : 1857 Questions

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Sexual Problems
Question: Hi, i need to get in touch with a sexologist.
I have been smoking for the last one year, but it has increased significantly in the last few months. The effect is that my drive to have sex has been lost. While i suspect this is because of smoking, over working could also be a reason. I generally have 16 hour work days and feel very tired after that.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow below measures

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
• 23 year old male
• Known case of addiction of smoking
• Complaints of: Loss of sexual drive (Low Libido)

Low sexual desire can be a result of a psychological or physical problem.

Psychological causes: Most common cause in young patients. These include performance anxiety, stress, marital or relationship problems, low mood, feelings of guilt, and the effects of a past sexual and emotional trauma.

Physical causes: Include neurological disorders, vitamin deficiency, sedentary lifestyle, alcoholism, smoking, drug abuse, hormonal imbalances (Thyroid, testosterone and estrogen) and diabetes.

In treatment of sexual problems, focus of treatment is the cause of problem. In your case from the case history, following problems can lead to loss of sexual desire which need attention:
-Stress of overwork

Following measures will help you to overcome your problem:

1. About smoking cessation: De addiction in any form is difficult task and frequently requires help of professionals like de-addiction specialist or Psychiatrist specially if you are not able to quit smoking yourself.
In de-addiction treatment following steps will be helpful:
-Motivation enhancement sessions and assessment of motivation of patient by specialist.
-Anticraving treatment with prescription drugs like Bupropion or Naltrexone.
-Nicotine replacement therapy to prevent withdrawal.

2. Stress management: By delegating non urgent work to others, effective time management, structured routine and involving yourself in some recreational activities.

3. Start multivitamins like Cap Cobadex CZS 2 times a day (after breakfast and after dinner).

4. Daily Jogging in morning for at-least 30 Minutes a day.

You start following these measures regularly. If symptoms do not relieved in one month then you will need blood investigations after examination from physician, to rule out other physical causes for loss of libido.

Final message to you: relax & do not worry about symptoms, follow above advice, stop smoking and start multi vitamins.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your response. I just read online about some blood flow related problems due to smoking which results in weaker and shorter erections. I am experiencing that.

Could you tell me which multivitamin medicine to take?

I doubt that my problems could be because of over stress also.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Smoking and stress more likely cause in your case.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Long term smoking may lead to decrease blood flow in penis, but considering young age it is less likely in your case. So, it is better to stop smoking to prevent future damage.

You can start multivitamins like Cap Cobadex CZS 2 times a day (after breakfast and after dinner).

Stress is very common reason for sexual problem in young population. You can start daily morning brisk walk for 30 min and breathing exercise for stress/anxiety management (along with steps mentioned above).

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Stress

doctor1 MD

What could make my heart feel like it's pounding hard in my chest? Blood pressure and heart rate are normal. I've had 2 stress echo tests a year apart and everything looked good on both. I am 51, female, in menopause, and was dealing with anxiety this past summer/fall.

doctor1 MD

I heard that if you have chronic stress , no hair loss product will work to restore or regrow hair until the stress is relieved, is this correct? I take 1000mg of Saw Palmetto, 1000 mg of Biolin, use Ducray Anastim Chronostim (started 4 days ago), and take a multvitamin with B100 complex. I suffer from manic depression as well.

doctor1 MD

i have recently changed pill to microgynon 30. I have noticed that I have two lumps of hair missing in my head the size of 3cm length and width being the largest. I also suffer with stress and anxiety. What could be the reason for this? It is not something serious is it?

doctor1 MD

hello, i am a 38 yr old female with fybromyalgia and high blood pressure. lately i have been having pain under both right arm from hand to elbow has been swelling under heat from being outside and is hot to touch and very hard and my blood pressure has been running 185/108. I have been having these symptoms off and on for 7 years now and nobody can tell me whats going on. I ve even had a heart cath done a year ago, it was negative with a positive nuclear stress test.

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I want to improve my brain performance, so visited Ayurvedic doctor to take the swarna bhasma,i am little obese and having snoring problem, so doctor has prescribed varanadi kashayam. Apart from this, i have short temper problem, so...

doctor1 MD

hi i m facing sleep disturbance since last 8 years i feel too much pressure over and behing myleft ears may be it leads to stress and breaks my sleep after i sleep abnormal feeling on left while yawning too much tightness on left ear and...

doctor1 MD

I have low body temperature, and am concerned that my thyroid may be not working optimally. My TSH is 4.13. If I reduce the stress in my life, will my thyroid bounce back ?