Smoker with severe cough, cold, loss of appetite and losing sense of smell. Could it be anosmia?

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Hi, i suffered from severe cough and cold for 4 weeks almost. though i am better now and my nose isnt stuffy but i have lost my sense of smell completely. i cannot smell anything at all. simultaneously also, my appetite has decreased . is it because i cannot smell food while eating. i am a smoker and i smoke almost 10 ciggs a day. i was reading in the net about amnosia . what do you think could be the cause and what should i do . will breathing exercises and pranayam help? Also, i am on antidepressants since a year. is there a possible connection?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 57 minutes later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

In your case anosmia can occur due to following reasons:
-Infection
-Vitamin deficiency
-Exacerbation of depression due to infection
-Exacerbation of infection damage by smoking
-Combination of above factors

Following steps will help you:
•     Yes, breathing exercises and pranayam will help, due to their effect on depression.
•     Start multi vitamins as they are easily available. Take milk and fruits in diet.
•     It is better to stop smoking gradually.
•     If there is change in severity of depressive symptoms then you can XXXXXXX your physician/Psychiatrist for modification in treatment.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal