Owl Image

Smoker with severe cough, cold, loss of appetite and losing sense of smell. Could it be anosmia?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi, i suffered from severe cough and cold for 4 weeks almost. though i am better now and my nose isnt stuffy but i have lost my sense of smell completely. i cannot smell anything at all. simultaneously also, my appetite has decreased . is it because i cannot smell food while eating. i am a smoker and i smoke almost 10 ciggs a day. i was reading in the net about amnosia . what do you think could be the cause and what should i do . will breathing exercises and pranayam help? Also, i am on antidepressants since a year. is there a possible connection?
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 57 minutes later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

In your case anosmia can occur due to following reasons:
-Infection
-Vitamin deficiency
-Exacerbation of depression due to infection
-Exacerbation of infection damage by smoking
-Combination of above factors

Following steps will help you:
•     Yes, breathing exercises and pranayam will help, due to their effect on depression.
•     Start multi vitamins as they are easily available. Take milk and fruits in diet.
•     It is better to stop smoking gradually.
•     If there is change in severity of depressive symptoms then you can XXXXXXX your physician/Psychiatrist for modification in treatment.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal