Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Smoker, taking advil, urinary tract infection. Related to kidney?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 577 Questions
Urine that smells like burnt BBQ coals
For over a year my urine has smelled like burnt BBQ coals. The smell is very strong and even after I flush the toilet the smell remains in the bathroom for several minutes. Plus the color of my urine is a deep/dark yellow, like a XXXXXXX mustard gold. My urine also seems very heavy in body, like Chardonnay wine or even heavier than that. I'm guessing I have a Advil (ibuprofen) and cigarettes, could it be related to my kidneys? However, I do not abuse alcohol, not now or ever in my life. I have also used tampons my entire life (30+ years), I have never been pregnant, I haven't had sex in over a year, I have never had an STD, and I know from other self-examines my problem has nothing to do with my vagina, I.e.- vaginitis/etc.

I don't have health insurance yet I know something is terribly wrong with me. Considering I am unable to see a doctor to be examined or get a prescription, is there anyway I can self-medicate to rid myself of whatever is wrong with me?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 days later

I am not really worried about the smell of the urine. However, I am certainly worried about the colour of the urine and also the fact that you have been consuming ibuprofen and cigarettes for long. I would definitely encourage you to cut down on both.

I am not really expecting you to have any infections considering your history. However, I shall like you to be investigated with microscopic urine examination, renal function, liver function test and ultrasound abdomen and pelvis.

Considering the fact that you don't have insurance, I will suggest that you increase your water intake to 3 litres per day and have lemon water twice daily for 1 week and see if thing improve with it. If you don't improve then you shall have to be surely investigated further with all the tests as mentioned above.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor