Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

148 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Smoker and feeling stressed. How to cure erectile dysfunction?

Answered by
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 16035 Questions

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Erectile Dysfunction
Question: Hello Doctor.
I am 32 years old. My question relates to a sudden lack of erection. 2 weeks ago I noticed a lack of an erection, and I'm scared. Penis is cold, as if asleep, I can not even "inflate". Previously, everything was quite fine. Masturbation also does not work. The penis is half erect even in the climax just before ejaculation. I am 8 months of separation, we are going to get a divorce and that carries a lot of stressing, nervous situation. Currently, I have a new 10 years younger partner. She is sexy, pretty and very attractive. but unfortunately my penis seems to be dead. I smoke cigarettes, not abusing alcohol. There was a time when I masturbated a few times a day to relieve tension. Morning erections happen really rarely. And I still do not know what it is to me. My partner is disappointed my dysfunction. I'm afraid to start foreplay. Please help me.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Erectile function depends on a combination of psychological, vascular, neurological and hormonal factors.Any abnormality in any of these areas whether from medication or from disease can result in problems.

Normally if the problem was purely psychological, there would still be morning erections.

ED (erectile dysfunction) can be associated with anything that affects the (1)blood vessels in the penis such a diabetes, high cholesterol, smoking,high blood pressure,heart disease
(2) nerve supply to the penis
(3) hormonal factors such as abnormal thyroid levels, low testosterone
(4)prostatic problems
(5) medications- some blood pressure medication, medications for stomach ulcers/gerd, medications for prostatic enlargement

Blood investigations can be done, if thought to be necessary by a doctor, to determine the exact cause. Some of the tests may be for thyroid hormone levelsv(if thought abnormal based on your medical history), other hormones such as testosterone.Checking for diabetes, high cholesterol and analysis of the urine should also be done.

In general the main medications that are used are viagra or cialis or levitra.They are all in the same family.
They cannot be used if you are on any medications in the nitrate family.

Generally persons would start on the lower dose and increase only if there is not a good response.
These medications vary according to when they should be taken and how long they last.

You may want to speak to your doctor for an assessment and to obtain a prescription.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Sildenafil

doctor1 MD

IM Angulakshmi aged 28,female residing at trichy.I was suffering from VSD,PDA,PAH from birth.Upto my 15yrs of age i got treatment at CMC ,VELLORE,after that in MADRAS MEDICAL MISSION.At 2005 i had my last review at APOLLO, CHENNAI and following medices as the prescribed till today.SILDENAFIL CITRATE 50 MG 1-0-1, LASIX 1/2-0-0,DERIPHYLINE 1-0-1.But these treatments gave me a result that im not operatable & not to get married.

IS im cureable?may I get marriage?if i got marriage is any problem for me?if not means why?

PLz kindly answer my question's doctor?

doctor1 MD

I just received a package of sildenafil citrate 100mg through the mail. The package is from cedar wood pharmacy and the pills are from Dr. Reddy laboratory . They suppose to be like Viagra. The pills are round with the imprint SC on one side and 100 on their other. My question is are these pills safe to take?

doctor1 MD

I`m 31 year with 54wt from Manipur,India. I lost a boy kid last year who suffered from conjunitial heart disease. I now I can`t pregnant though I followed advicewith instruction s from doctors . I`m advised to insert sildenafil citrate tablets in vigina.What is the use of it and how it is used

doctor1 MD

hi..i am 53 yrs....suffer from ed...and premature ejaculation.....

have been taking suhagra 50 ( sildenafil citrate 50 mg) when needed for some time....

Am considering taking duralast 30 (dapoxetine hydrocholride 30 mg) also.....

Is it OK to combine the two?? Any side effects to be wary of?

I normally take a tab for hypertension (mild) it ok to combine with the above medications or should I avoid on days when I am using sidenafil - dapoxetime?

doctor1 MD

I have difficulty with the hardness of my erections. I have noticed that the bulbo-cavernosus muscle is not engorged when I am erect. During intercourse, my erection is less hard than it should be for entry and my penis becomes soft. I have been...

doctor1 MD

I had eligard for prostate cancer ....I am wondering if it is possible to return to full sexual activity....Thanks XXXXXXX

doctor1 MD

After i had sex with my partner, the next day, my penis starts to get hard on sometimes and discharge some cum onto it. Is it normal?