Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Smoker. Took antibiotic for bronchitis. What treatment should be done for throat ulcer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 183 Questions
I have a picture of my tonsil. Can you tell me if it looks normal to you? About three months ago I went to the doctor and was given an antibiotic for bronchitis. The doctor noticed what he called a throat ulcer. It is still there, however, and need to know if I should be alarmed. I just quit using chew and smoking a couple of weeks ago. I work in a remote area where it is difficult to find medical aid, and before driving days to the nearest throat doctor, I need to know.
Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for your question.
Do you have the photo that you can post on here or can you email it to me?
Any time you have a chronic ulceration without a source of irritation that is obvious, it raises alarm for concern. Ulcerations that are chronic and non healing can indicate more devious pathologies such as cancer. Your best bet would be to go to an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor or get a referral to an Oral Surgeon to have a biopsy performed to rule out cancer immediately. It could be a long term viral, fungal or bacterial infection as well. However, I would not wait on getting it biopsied since it has been present for 3 months so far.

If you have any further questions, concerns or photos please feel free to respond. I'll gladly assist you.


Dr. Ward
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Smoker. Took antibiotic for bronchitis. What treatment should be done for throat ulcer? 5 hours later
I can email you a photo. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 19 minutes later
Please send the photo to YYYY@YYYY


Dr. Ward
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor