Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Smoker. Purple bump appeared on anus. Hurts to touch. Could it be cancer or STD?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
hi. I have an issue regarding my anus. There is a purple bump on my anus, and when I touch it it feels like there is a small ball inside. the pain is little when i press it. It has been there for more than a month I think. Also, my bowel movements have somehow become thinner. what is this? I took a picture of it and attached it here. I thought about hemorrhoid, but I am very afraid if it is cancer or std maybe?
Also, I am a heavy cigarette smoker for almost 2 years now.
Also doctor, i forgot to mention that around a month ago also, I had bowel movements with mucus for about a week. accuring the same time as when I had the itchy anus.
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 39 minutes later
Thanks for writing in XXXXXXX
From the symptoms you have described and the picture you have provided it appears to be perianal sepsis following an anal fissure. It does not appear to be cancer at least on appearance.
I would suggest that you visit and consult a general surgeon and get yourself examined. (per rectal anal and proctoscopic examionation ) This will confirm the diagnosis.
In the mean time you can follow the following advice.
1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Stool softners for at least 15 days till the condition settles. Avoid straining at any cost.
3. Fomentations or sietz bath to the local area . (add one XXXXXXX of magnesium sulphate powder and 2 to 3 tablespoons of dettol to the warm water tub for fomentation)
4. Pain killers for 5 days.
5. A full course of antibiotics (combination of ciprofloxacin and metronidazole)
6. reduce smoking as much as possible.
7. Keep the area as clean as possible.

I hope this answers your querry.
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor