Smoker. Purple bump appeared on anus. Hurts to touch. Could it be cancer or STD?

Dr. Ketan Vagholkar

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: hi. I have an issue regarding my anus. There is a purple bump on my anus, and when I touch it it feels like there is a small ball inside. the pain is little when i press it. It has been there for more than a month I think. Also, my bowel movements have somehow become thinner. what is this? I took a picture of it and attached it here. I thought about hemorrhoid, but I am very afraid if it is cancer or std maybe?
Also, I am a heavy cigarette smoker for almost 2 years now.
Also doctor, i forgot to mention that around a month ago also, I had bowel movements with mucus for about a week. accuring the same time as when I had the itchy anus.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 39 minutes later
Thanks for writing in XXXXXXX
From the symptoms you have described and the picture you have provided it appears to be perianal sepsis following an anal fissure. It does not appear to be cancer at least on appearance.
I would suggest that you visit and consult a general surgeon and get yourself examined. (per rectal anal and proctoscopic examionation ) This will confirm the diagnosis.
In the mean time you can follow the following advice.
1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Stool softners for at least 15 days till the condition settles. Avoid straining at any cost.
3. Fomentations or sietz bath to the local area . (add one XXXXXXX of magnesium sulphate powder and 2 to 3 tablespoons of dettol to the warm water tub for fomentation)
4. Pain killers for 5 days.
5. A full course of antibiotics (combination of ciprofloxacin and metronidazole)
6. reduce smoking as much as possible.
7. Keep the area as clean as possible.

I hope this answers your querry.
With regards