Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Smoker. Have severe sleep apnea, tightness in chest, restless arms and legs. Any relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 706 Questions
My 51 year old brother has significant trouble sleeping at night. Very twitchy, tightness in chest...describes it as muscles in chest contracting, almost making him curl forward. Restless arms and legs...kicking. He says it feels like "something is running through his veins XXXXXXX He is a smoker. Told is has severe sleep apnea.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 52 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I understand your query,

This issue can be resolved by doing two investigations 1. Video- polysomnography and if needed 2. Video-EEG test.

The first test is done in sleep lab and the patient has to sleep in the lab. Electrodes will be attached in the head, chin, leg etc and they will map the brain functions, respiration etc. This test will detect the sleep apnea and if he has any other sleep-related problem. Once the diagnosis is established, the treatment becomes easy. 2. Video-EEG test is done in EEG lab: A test which records the brain function and records everything which happens to the patient.
These two tests and if needed MRI scan will help us to decide about the diagnosis. Treatment will depend the cause.

hope this helps
let me know if I can help you any way

best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor