Smoker. Have bronchitis. White spots and big heart seen in xray. Could it be cancer?

Dr. Jawahar Ticku

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Cancer
Question: I went to the Dr was told I had broncitis again for the 5th time, but this time he ordered,xrays and quite a bit of blood work and asked me to return in 10 days for a followup,I've never been asked to come back after a broncitis before. I saw my xrays,They were very black,with 2 large bright white spots,and the heart looked rather big.
I'm 54,female,yes I'm a smoker.
Do you think this could be cancer?
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 1 hour later
Dear,

I understand your concern, but it is difficult to give the interpretation of X-ray without seeing it. Besides that diagnosis of a neoplasm (cancer) will require much more sophisticated investigations such as CT/MRI scan, sputum cell cytology or may be bronchoscopy.

Your doctor may have asked you to follow up to find the response to the treatment he gave. I would do the same with my patients.

Repeated bronchitis is a matter for concern and the follow-ups are required to monitor the progress of condition and whether or not you are recovering. He/she might order for repeat x-ray after the treatment to know if the treatment was OK. The aforementioned test may be needed to rule out if symptoms or X-ray suspicions do not resolve.

Hope this clarifies your doubts. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Truly,
Dr. Ticku

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad