Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Smoked Hookah and started coughing. Felt like chest filled with mucus. Chest feels tight and breathing is weird

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
I smoked some Hookah about an hour ago for about an hour by myself. I stopped because I started coughing alot & it seemed chest filled up with mucus that I was coughing up. Now my chest still feel tight & my breathing is weird (shallow & at times when I'm not almost like suffocating and then I start to cough)....should I go to the emergency room?
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 9 minutes later

Yes, you must rush to the Emergency Room at the earliest. Please take someone along with you.

Try to breathe easy and get some fresh air on your way to the hospital.

Stay relaxed, you should be fine soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Smoked Hookah and started coughing. Felt like chest filled with mucus. Chest feels tight and breathing is weird 2 minutes later
It's eased a little bit since I sent this question but feel uneasy about falling asleep. Should I wait to see if it tapers off?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 12 minutes later

In my view, you should not wait for it to taper off. If I were in your situation, I would go to the ER at the earliest. This I say because we do not know how much of the hookah has gone inside your lungs and if there is more than excess of the substance in the lungs. It may enter the circulation and cause a cardiac arrhythmia suddenly.

I am sorry but I am afraid. You must go to the ER, get yourself a complete examination, and proceed accordingly.

Get well soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor