Smelly yellowish pus from the area where cyst is removed. Is this normal?

Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I had a cyst removed from my back, the sac and all. Now it leaks this horible offensive odor with bloody yellowish pus. I'm really sore after a week after the removal. Is this normal? Or do I have an infection? Please help.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Let the wound open for a secondary healing. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef answering your query. Yes- you might be right in saying that you developed an infection in the wound. Infection after any kind of surgical procedure is not uncommon, and it could have many reasons. If I were your doctor, I would advise you for a routine blood sugar both fasting and post-prandial to exclude Diabetes mellitus, which might be responsible for the persisting infection. If it comes out to be positive, treatment is a must to prevent further infection, and proper healing. I would in this case open up all the sutures so that there should not be any collection left in the dead space created by removal of the cyst. Also I would send a pus swab from the wound for a culture sensitivity report so that appropriate antibiotic could be chosen. In case of a big wound, I would consider for a secondary suturing when the wound shows clean granulation without any purulent discharge. Otherwise I would leave it open with daily or alternate day dressing depending on the condition of the wound, and allow it for healing with secondary intention. I am sure your surgeon must have sent the tissue removed for a histo pathology study. There is nothing to worry if it was benign. I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of the wound. If you have any further doubts, please do not hesitate to ask. Thanks for choosing health care magic for clearing doubts on your health problems. Wishing you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.
Follow up: Dr. M Y Shareef 2 hours later
Could the infection currently be getting in my bloodstream that I should be rushing to the doctor?
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: No-it is not the case. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX ! Good to hear from you. No- it is not so urgent to rush to your doctor just now. But you must get your investigations done fast and get your wound reviewed at the earliest so that proper steps could be taken to avoid the infection spreading further and for a proper healing. With best wishes for a complete recovery. Thanks. Dr Shareef.