Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Smelly discharge from vagina. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 926 Questions
Hi I get this smelly discharge from my vagina everyday and all day, how can I stop this? It has Been happening for a while now but only resontly that it has become smelly. Please help me to fix this problem :(
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 59 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Vaginal discharge can be physiological or pathological.

I would like to hear some additional information from you.
1. What is the color of vaginal discharge? Clear, curdy white, grey, or yellowish? Is it frothy?
2. Quantity of the discharge? Is the amount of discharge minimal or copious?
3. Any history of associated fever or burning micturition?
4. Can you describe the smell? Does it have a fishy odour?
5. Any history of pruritis(itching)/burning sensation at the vagina?
6. Any history of associated lower abdominal pain?
7. If sexually active, any history of painful intercourse (dyspareunia) or post coital bleeding.
8. History of exposure to sexually transmitted diseases?
9. When was your last menstrual date?

In order to help me help you better, kindly provide the above details.

Awaiting your reply.

Have a nice day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Smelly discharge from vagina. Treatment? 3 hours later
Well it looks clear, but if on a underwear liner it is yellowish, it happens throughout the day but it's only a little bit at a time, yer I would say fishy Oder. Have never had any sexual transmited diseases, it gets itchy where my pubic hair is, no pain after sexual intercourse. Once or twice after sex there has been bleeding. My last menstraul date was the 2/6. Do I have anything to worry about? And is there anything I can do to solve it, it's really annoying, and very embarrassing :(
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 13 hours later

Thanks for the reply.

Based on the details provided, I don’t think there is anything to worry about.

You probably may be having a bacterial vaginosis / trichomonal infection. As you report post coital bleeding, the infection may have spread to the cervix too and this needs to be ruled out by careful physical examination and investigations.
All the aforementioned conditions which you might have are treatable condition and there is no reason for you to feel embarrassed. It is a common problem that most ladies suffer from. So do not worry.

However I encourage you to visit your local gynaecologist. He/she can perform a detailed per vaginal examination and subject you to relevant investigations such as routine urine examination, swab / culture study on the discharge, microscopic studies on pap smear, etc. I am sure we will be able to understand the true nature of your problem. A course of antibiotic can be started then.

Meanwhile, maintain good perineal hygiene and abstain from sex till the discharge issue is resolved.
Drink plenty of fluids and avoid frequent douching.
I hope I have answered your question. I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Smelly discharge from vagina. Treatment? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for this. So when I see my local doctor, she will start me on antibiotics and then will it stop?
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later

I appreciate your feed backs.

Antibiotics might be started based on the nature of disease.

The gynaecologist might send the vaginal swab (discharge) for wet mount examination, whiff test, along with culture and sensitivity and might start you on such antibiotic empirically while awaiting the results as
- Metronidazole/Clindamycin orally or metronidazole/clindamycin gel intravaginally for bacterial vaginosis
- Metronidazole antibiotic alone for trichomonas.
- Cefixime/ceftriaxone for gonococcus
- Erythromycin/azithromycin for Chlamydia and so on.

Once the right treatment is completed, your symptoms should subside.

Your doctor might also advise you to get a pap smear done as screening test (if you have been sexually active for the past 3 years).

Hope I have answered your question. Kindly get back to me if you have further queries.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor