Small white bumps can be seen on labia majora when stretched. Is this normal?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I have small white bumbs on labia majora..you can only see if u strench the skin...is that normal
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: FORDYCE'S SPOTS MOST LIKELY. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. I think what you are describing is most probably - Fordyce's spots. These are small white or yellowish bumps, hardly 1- 3 mm in diameter. They are actually slightly enlarged sebaceous glands, the glands which secrete oil and sebum. These are quite harmless and painless and only accidentally noticed, as you did. Nothing needs to be done for them as such. Another possibility is that of Seborrhoeic keratoses. These are again very small warty lesions of the same size, but darker in colour, more common in the labia majora with increasing age, after the thirties generally. Again these are quite harmless, and require no intervention. As you have no symptoms which point towards an infected lump ( pain, redness, swelling, raised local temperature, pus discharge etc, there is no need to worry much. If you face any symptoms such as described above, you can have a gynecological consultation, and antibiotic treatment would lead to relief in most cases. Right now, you should relax, and be vigilant for any changes - increase in size, changes in colour, signs of infection etc. You could upload a picture too , that always helps in being more specific in diagnosis. Take care.