Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Small sore on inner thigh, itchy and red scrotum. Not cured after treatment. Any effective treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 6247 Questions
For the last week, I have had itching and redness on my scrotum, left side. I also had a small sore on my inner thigh, roughly 1/4 inch, which looked like a blister. I punctured it, flushed with hydrogen peroxide, and used neosporin antibacterial ointment on the sore, which began to heal. I did not associate the sore with the itch and redness of the scrotum. I thought it was jock itch, and have made a point of washing carefully and using baby powder to keep the affected area dry. This morning, there is a itchy rash on my inner thigh where the scrotum makes contact, which is also around the area of the sore I treated. Is this jock itch, and what is a good treatment? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for a good history.

It looks to be a fungal infection, tinea cruris, that is what you correctly said jockey's itch. You need to apply antifungal cream to treat this. Apply a combination of oint clotrimazole and clobetasol daily in night for a week, followed by plain clotrimazole daily twice for a month. Check if they are available over the counter in your region. Else you may need a doctor's prescription.

You will get good response in few days, but you must complete the treatment, else it will reappear.

An antihistamine like Cetrizine would be helpful in controlling the itch. Please do not use hydrogen peroxide. It may irritate the scrotal skin.

Hope I answered your query.

Feel free to ask, if you have any further doubts.

Wishing you good health.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor