Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Small red spots on underside of penis. Could you give a diagnosis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
Please could you review the attached picture and give me a diagnosis. They are small red spots on the underside of my penis.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

I have gone through the reports. The lesion on your penis looks more like blisters. If the blisters that you are having are not associated with any kind of pain or discharge then it might be due to friction or fungal infection. You can apply a local antiseptic and antifungal ointment to have relief.

Other possibilities are-

1.Dermatitis- caused by infections, allergies, and irritants (such as soaps, certain creams).Lesions are usually in the form of itchy small red bumps.
When become white headed, it may indicate a secondary bacterial infection and formation of pus.

2.Herpes simplex - Genital herpes is a very common disease caused by herpes virus type2. It results in small, very painful blisters (fluid is inside the lesion), genital irritation, itching, they burst into the sores turns into crust, that scab and heal in about 3 weeks.

Special tests include:
Blood tests, Microscopic examination of tissue scrap from lesions, Viral cell culture test.

Direct clinical examination is essential to rule out the above conditions.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Small red spots on underside of penis. Could you give a diagnosis? 2 hours later
My initial fear was that they were warts. They are not painful or itchy and there is no discharge so I'm leaning towards a fungal infection, of which I have had some in the past. Can you recommend any products, which don't require prescription, to clear this up? I have some left over creams from previous conditions such as Daktacort & Fucidin. Would these be sufficient?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 47 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

You can use Daktacort ointment for 3-5 days and see if there is any improvement.

If there is no improvement or lesions deteriorate then you need to see a doctor and get a swab test done to confirm the diagnosis.

You might need a course of antibiotics and anti fungals orally.

Refrain from sex until your infection is resolved.

You need to observe good hygiene.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor