Small raised red blotches on stomach. Cause and cure?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Ive had these small red blotches on my stomach for about a month now. They vary in size from 1 inch in diameter to a few millimetres. They are slightly raised above the skin but to not hurt or itch whatsoever. To me, they seem to get darker or look more prominent when I first get out of the shower. I have not changed soaps but can't imagine why I would only get small blotches that would last a long time if I did. Some of the darker ones (as seen in the pictures) seem to be dry as well. I have noticed 4 more of them since the first discovery. I have also only noticed these blotches on my stomach only and no where else on my body. Hopefully the pictures help to determine what they might be.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
From the pictures the most possible causes in my opinion are-
1. Erythema multiforme.
2. Dermatitis- due to skin infection, allergy,etc.
3. Dry skin- Xerosis.
4. Heat rash.
A direct examination by a dermatologist is the best way to get it diagnosed.
Most simple rashes improve with gentle skin care and avoiding irritating substances. You can help the improvement by
* Avoid scrubbing your skin.
* Use as little soap as possible. Use gentle cleansers instead.
* Avoid applying cosmetic lotions or ointments directly on the rash.
* Use warm (not hot) water for cleaning. XXXXXXX dry, don't rub.
* Eliminate any newly added cosmetics or lotions.
* Leave the affected area exposed to the air as much as possible.
* Try calamine medicated lotion.
* Hydrocortisone cream (1%) is available without a prescription and may soothe many rashes.
If the rashes become more of purple rather than red then you must consult a dermatologist immediately.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 hours later
Thank you for your reply Doc.

Ive noticed that majority of the spots are also dry and flakey. Ive tried using a an odourless soap but nothing has improved or gotten worse. Is there something I am able to do at home for now to try and have a better idea as to what it may be? If it is in fact some sort of skin "infection", should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It is not likely to be a skin infection. You can use 1% hydrocortisone ointment available over the counter for relief.
This is likely to subside on its own in few weeks. Please do not worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.