Owl Image

Small purple bruises on upper thigh after intercourse. Should I be concerned?

Owl Image
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Question
I have small purple bruises on inside of my upper thighs...periodically. Usually after sex...but wonder if I need to get blood checked. I have hypothryroid and get itchy dry skin in winter. My mom always bruised so easily...not sure if i should be concerned???
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

Regarding the small areas that you see this could possibly just be secondary to sexual activity and there might not be anything to worry about.

If you think this is something that is more frequent than one might expect related to the activity it would be very reasonable for you to see a physician for a complete blood count. The complete blood count will allow your doctor to see if the total number of red blood cells white blood cells and platelets in your blood is within normal limits. In some cases the platelet count might be low which could contribute to easy bruising.

There are some more rare inherited disorders of bleeding and bruising which are unlikely in your case but still worthy of consideration given your family history.

Thanks again for sending your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful. I want to reassure you that I don't think anything XXXXXXX is going on at this time and a good evaluation will help us get to the bottom of this.

If you have any additional questions please let me know.

Dr. Robert