Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

193 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Small purple bruises on upper thigh after intercourse. Should I be concerned?

Answered by
Owl Image
Dr. Robert Galamaga


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 2567 Questions

I have small purple bruises on inside of my upper thighs...periodically. Usually after sex...but wonder if I need to get blood checked. I have hypothryroid and get itchy dry skin in winter. My mom always bruised so easily...not sure if i should be concerned???
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

Regarding the small areas that you see this could possibly just be secondary to sexual activity and there might not be anything to worry about.

If you think this is something that is more frequent than one might expect related to the activity it would be very reasonable for you to see a physician for a complete blood count. The complete blood count will allow your doctor to see if the total number of red blood cells white blood cells and platelets in your blood is within normal limits. In some cases the platelet count might be low which could contribute to easy bruising.

There are some more rare inherited disorders of bleeding and bruising which are unlikely in your case but still worthy of consideration given your family history.

Thanks again for sending your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful. I want to reassure you that I don't think anything XXXXXXX is going on at this time and a good evaluation will help us get to the bottom of this.

If you have any additional questions please let me know.

Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on Bruise

doctor1 MD

my friend has had bruising on both sides of his pelvis in a blotchy way and then a big bruise around his tail bone. This has been there for 3 months! The doctors can't figure it out but there is obviously blood coming from inside causing it. We are worried... any ideas?

doctor1 MD

I am 24 and a teacher. For the past 2 days, I have been having random dizzy spells, and have found small bruises along the veins in my legs. I have also been experiencing numbness and tingling in my arms and hands. This morning I woke up with a large bruise on the back of my calf. What could be causing this?

doctor1 MD

Hi a couple days a go I had pain in my lower side pelvic area mild pain. I also felt some discomfort towards my right thigh like I had a bruise. I had the pain for two whole days. Then, after those two days I noticed Ammonia smell in my urine. Is this serious?

Thank you

doctor1 MD

I have two questions: 1. My 2 year old daughter has very dark, smelly urine. It has only just started and she is drinking as much as she always has.2. My 5 month old son has a small bruise on his head that has not changed colour at all and has been there for 3 weeks, what could this be?

doctor1 MD

Patient: Female, 73 years, 6 months old, 5'7" tall, 230 lbs., in generally good health. Hypertension well controlled with medication, lifelong history of recurring clinical depression . Currently takes medication for depression and hypertension,...

doctor1 MD

I had routine bloodwork done and all tests came back normal except for a raised ferratin 575. When tested again 6 weeks later it came back at another high value 445. No other tests for inflammation were done. CBC with differential all normal. I'm...

doctor1 MD

My 6 year old daughter has a bump on her forehead right below her hairline. It is about the size of a small pea. She says it is painful. It is non-movable. It has a bluish tint similar to a bruise but much lighter. It does not seem like a bump...