Owl Image

Small painless lump appeared on waist line. Should I be worried?

Critical Care Specialist
Question
HI, i have a spongy small lump near my waistline on the right side...
It is painless, soft and the colour is same as skin colour...
It has been there for quite long and the size might have increased very very slowly...
should i be worried...what it could be...plz help...
Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 1 hour later

From the character described by you, most probably this swelling is a lipoma.

Lipomas are benign fatty tissues swelling which occur almost all part of body and more common on part of body which are XXXXXXX in fat. It is a benign and harmless lump which will not cause any serious trouble when left untreated. If you wish you can get it removed by surgeon nearby.

Though it does not warrant medical attention, I would suggest you to visit a nearby surgeon who can perform FNAC (Fine needle aspiration cytology) of this swelling to confirm the possibility. If this proved to be lipoma on FNAC (which I am very sure) you can leave it alone.

Very rarely lipomas show rapid progression/secondary physical changes. Only in such events, lipoma warrants medical attention.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Dr Sadiq

Follow-up: Small painless lump appeared on waist line. Should I be worried? 3 hours later
Thank you so much for your quick response.

Is there any home remedy, oil or cream which can be applied to reduce the size as the size looks to have increased (though very very slowly over period of time).
Also are there chances that it increases in size in future years?
This lump is located below the waistline on the right side.

Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 2 hours later
Hi thanks for your follow up.

There is no oil , ointment or any means by which size of this swelling can be reduced. However, it may reduce in size by itself, rarely.

It cannot be said with certainty whether this swelling will increase in size or not. However, if it is slowly increasing in size, chances are that it will further increase in size.

Hope this answers your question.
If you don't have any more queries, please close the discussion ,rate the answer and write a review.

Dr Sadiq