Small movable lump appeared under skin on lower back. What could it be?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: have a small moveable lump under the skin in the lower back area. it feels smooth and semi hard. it is not attached to the skin. any ideas. also, it is not painfull.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 31 minutes later

Its probably a lipoma - a common fatty tumor found on the skin and lower back. It probably developed due to chronic irritation of the lower back. A lipoma is benign ( that s non cancerous and thus you have nothing to worry about), but I suggest you to get checked out just in order to confirm. We would need a fine needle aspiration cytology to confirm.
Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli