Small lumps around vagina lips. Taking volteran medication. History of arthritis. How can I cure these lumps?

Posted on Tue, 19 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I had a vaginal removal of my uterus in 1991. Ever since then, I have been getting small pea size lumps around my vaginal lips. They do not hurt, but they are becoming more prolific. I am a 55 year old woman, overweight, and have lived with arthritis all my life. I take strong NSAID medication called Volteran 3 times a day. I would like to know what can be done about these lumps? Years ago I was assured they are not vaginal warts; but now that I am out of a long term relationship, I am self conscious about them and do not wish to start another relationship until I know for certain what this is and how to get rid of these small lumps.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Proliferative soft tissue painless pea sized swellings on the vaginal lips when genital warts have been ruled out can be due to-
1. Vaginal inclusion cysts
2. Gartner's duct cysts.
3. Benign tumors of vagina.
A careful examination followed by investigations like skin biopsy may be needed for diagnosis.
Please visit your gynecologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon