Small lump on cervix. Missing periods and having cramps. HPT negative. What's going on?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: I Have a small lump on my cervix and it has been there for a few weeks. I am Six days late for my period but im having cramps as if im about to start my period. but nothing is there. I have taken home pregnancy tests but they all come out negative. What could be going on?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 hours later
Hi, thanks for your query. I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) Some women experience delay in periods in some of their cycles. The same is happening with you. This may be due Change in work pattern, excess exercise, changes in life style, stressful events in life etc. It is normal to have delayed periods occasionally. Hence, no need to worry about it.

2) Since you are already experiencing cramps you are likely to get period in about 2 days. 

3) Though it is early to get urine pregnancy test positive, I suggest you repeat pregnancy test after 4 days if you do not get periods. If you are still doubtful about pregnancy, you can get a test called serum beta hCG. This is confirmatory for pregnancy if you wish to be very sure.

4) You mentioned about a lump near cervix, I wish to know if it was diagnosed by a gynecologist after examination because, cervix cannot be visualized with bare eyes, it can only be seen by XXXXXXX examination.

I recommend you get it examined by gynecologist to decide type of cyst and if biopsy or excision of the lump is necessary to know nature of cyst. It is unlikely to be cancer as you are young and cancer is unlikely in your age group.

I hope I answered your query. Get back to me for any doubts.
Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E