Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Slipped disc, pain radiating to leg, MRI report, diabetic. Surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 170 Questions
I am having slipped disc problem.Severe pain radiating to leg.
MRI report says "Degenerative mild canal and foraminal narrowing seen at all levels.Diffuse Bulge with posterior protrusion is seen at L3- level.Superiorimpposed inferior migration is seen in the left lateral recess contacting the left traversing L4 nerve root.Small right subforaminal is also seen.
Diffuse annular bulge is seen at L4-5 level causing further canal and foraminal narrowing".
I am 70 and diabetic.Is surgery advisable?Who is the best Doctor in St John's for this type of surgery.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 28 hours later
Thanks for posting your question.

You have suffered PID for almost 20 years and must have come across ups and downs all throughout these years. There is nothing that you already dont know so I wont get in the finer details. But overall the thing that is evident here is that the degenerative process has reached an unacceptable level. Nerve roots both exiting and traversing are compromised along with the spinal cord.

It wont be far when you will face other serious complications besides the ones you are already facing. In my opinion if all your conservative line of management like medicines, physiotherapy and exercises are exhausted, then surgical intervention is imperative. Most likely a spine surgeon has to take a call on laminectomy and discectomy before its too late.

Though you are diabetic, it wont hinder in the surgical procedure since your sugar levels would be monitored and maintained in normal range pre operative.

Once you take the decision look for a spine surgeon near you. I'm sorry I have no acquaintances with doctors pertaining to your location.

There are too many medicines you are on and I would suggest that you try and stop most of them except anti diabetic ones. Treat the cause of problem and not just the symptoms.
I hope this answers your query. Thanks for choosing Healthcare magic and feel feel free to ask more. I'm available for follow up.
Good day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Slipped disc, pain radiating to leg, MRI report, diabetic. Surgery? 2 days later
Dear Doctor,
many thanks.I am happy wih your conclusion as the same has been said by Dr XXXXXXX of Lilavati Hosptl.
I had a feeling that I should take a second opinion for which I wrote you.
I hear he is a leader in this field.
Have you heard about him?
He has suggested micro dissectomy next week.
I will keep you advised.
Thanks again,
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 8 hours later

Glad to see your reply.

I am pleased to know that you have consulted Dr. XXXXXXX As you said it right Dr. XXXXXXX is indeed a pioneer in the field of spine surgery. Micro discectomy sounds like an appropriate solution to your problem.

I shall gladly be of service for any future advices you may require. Please keep me posted.

I hope you recover soon from your painful ordeal.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor