Slip disc and disc protrusion, HLAB27 positive, ankylosing spondylitis. Blood tests, MRI done. Treatment options?

Posted on Fri, 15 Jun 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: I went for series of blood tests and spinal MRI on Monday in which I was diagnosed with L5 S1 Disc Protrusion (slip disc ) and HLAB27 +ve (Ankylosing spondylitis).
ESR done is 31 , CRP is 12 .

i want to know about the treatment for it
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later

From your history I understand that you have been diagnosed with Ankylosing spondylitis.

I would like you to know the following:

1. There are four main treatment goals: control pain and inflammation, avoid joint and tissue damage, optimize function, and prevent the development of extra-articular manifestations like uveitis.

2. The medications include the following:
- Pain relieving & anti inflammatory medications:
a. NSAIDS- like Aspirin, Indomethacin, etc.
b. DMARDS: reduce the immune system response thus reducing the disease activity- e.g: cyclosporin, methotrexate, sulfasalazine, and corticosteroids.
c. Newer recent drugs inhibiting immune mediated disease activity - TNF alpha blockers e.g. etanercept, infliximab, golimumab and adalimumab.

3. In severe cases surgery is indicated.

4. Some physical therapy and exercises prescribed by physiotherapist helps in maintaining optimal join function.

5. Lumbosacral back support (braces) may be prescribed.

Thus, in short pain reliever and anti inflammatory tablets and physical therapy/back support may be prescribed in your case as per the evaluation of your treating Orthopedician.

Also I would like to comment on another aspect of your history. You have mentioned that recently you took Anti TB medications for lung Tuberculosis. I would like you to know that Ankylosing Spondylitis can also affect the lungs (like in TB) independently. So please consult your treating physician regarding this.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

Wish you good health.
Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra


Practicing since :2003

Answered : 600 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Pulmonary tuberculosis

doctor1 MD

Good afternoon , I am XXXXXXX male 50 years of age I amsuffering from chronic gastric problem I am taking pentocid dsr daily empty stomach and a...

doctor1 MD

Based on below biopsy done for my relative -35 female pregnancy 36 weeks “Micrscopic description-Sections shows linear cores of breast tissue with...

doctor1 MD

My Father , aged 71 years is a diabetic insulin dependent. He recently contracted pulmonary tuberculosis and has been on treatment for the past 40...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am a 37 year old female. Weihgt is 66 kilograms. I often get allergic cold. Have been operated for nasal polypectomy in 2003 and also...

doctor1 MD

Hello doctor

i m kiran
10 years ago suffered frm PTB( pulmonary tuberculosis) underwent treatment of ATT, later stoped drugs said by OUR doctor(...

doctor1 MD

My wife has recently been diagnosed with Pulmonary tuberculosis (in x ray : nodular patch in right apex and illdefined opacities in left mid zone)...

doctor1 MD

hello 21 yrs old female. i had pulmonary koch before 4-5 yrs. took complete course of anti-tubercular drugs at that time...
present chief...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

151 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction