Slim and want to gain weight and body mass. Advised to take protein powders. What are the side effects?

Meenakshi
Meenakshi Attrey

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Weight
Question: hi doctor, I am slim and I want to gain weight and body muscle mass for which I m going to gym and my instructor told me that I should take protien powders like body mass, whey protien etc.. please suggest. where I should go for it and if yes which powder will u suggest me that should not have steroids and must not have side effects...
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Take a high protein diet with balanced nutrition. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thanks for posting the query. Dietary protein supplements are mostly suggested when there is an urgent need for weight gain, or if there is sever muscle breakdown. With Gym and increased physical activity, you would require a higher protein intake. However still, the use of supplements would depend on the actual protein content of the diet and severity of exercises. Also, your current body weight and BMI is important. With the increased physical activity you would need some additional calories to let the dietary protein work for the muscle building. This is called as the protein sparing action, of the carbohydrates. Therefore, cutting down the carbohydrates totally or reducing it considerably would seize protein do its intended function of muscle building. Make sure that you include enough carbohydrates in your diet. Choose from the foods rich in insoluble fibers like whole grains, green leafy vegetables, and whole wheat pasta. Include the protein rich foods for muscle building. Foods like egg white, lean portions meat, dried fruits and nuts, legumes like rajmah, channa, soybean and its products like tofu etc. are very good sources of protein. Make sure that you include plenty of low fat dairy products as well. These would not only provide protein but are good sources of calcium. Include sprouts, natural peanut butter, sugar free yogurt, boiled channa and soy chaat, dry and roasted pumpkin seeds, watermelon seeds and soaked nuts and plenty dry fruits in the daily diet. You can try the protein supplements like Resource High Protein (nestle), Protinex and B- protein. These are available in most of the pharmacies. Make sure that you take these as per the printed instructions. Ensure that your body is sufficiently hydrated to make for the water losses through sweat and perspiration while exercising. Hope this satisfies your query. Meenakshi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Meenakshi Attrey 2 hours later
thanks for your reply. but I wanted to know if I can take the protiens provided by various zyms like whey protien, body mass etc.. if yes, do they have any side effect in the body.. my weight is 58 and height is 5.5
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 6 days later
Brief Answer: Choose the supplements wisely Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thanks for the query. As mentioned in the previous reply, protein supplements may be taken, but since your BMI is nearly 21, therefore one dose a day after the workout would be sufficient. Whey protein are good and are also easy to digest. For additional protein intake consider the natural dietary sources. Don't forget to consume sufficient fluids and maintain the meal timings. Meenakshi