Slightly swollen and sore lymph node below ear. Could it be an ear infection?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Hello,

Yesterday I discovered what feels like a slightly swollen lymph node above my left jawline right below my ear. Pain has steadily increased to this morning. Soreness around the area and pain centering in my left ear. Feels like an ear infection. No fever however. What is this and what can I do?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 33 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Your description sounds like an acute inflammatory condition. It can happen in an acute ear infection or in case of an caries teeth. In case of caries teeth, pain can also be felt around ear. But, there is a lymph node also. Most possibly it is enlarged due to reactive hyperplasia. Now, the two conditions mentioned previously can be differentiated from each other on the basis of a thorough clinical examination.

Sometimes, an oral ulcer can also give rise to this type of conditions. But you did not give any history of oral problem.

So, what you have to do are -

1. Take a non steroidal antiinflammatory agent like diclofenac group of drug to reduce the acute inflammation. Take a pantoprazole group of dug before taking the antiinflammatory agent.

2. Now, you have to consult with an Ear nose throat specialist for an close examination. If infection is suspected from clinical examination, a broad spectrum antibiotic like azithromycin should be considered to treat the condition. Depending upon the severity of the ear infection, the next line of management should be determined.
If any dental problem is suspected from the clinical examination, you should be referred to a dentist for further management.

Lastly, take the medications as I have mentioned and consult with an ENT specialist in person.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.