Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Slightly overweight, light smoker and moderate drinker. Found liver lesions. Could it be hemangioma?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
Hi, I am a 46 year old female, slightly overweight, light smoker (2 years).i drink wine in moderation. had a ct urologic with contrast the other day. Also CBC diff, lipid panel. All normal with exception of slightly elevated cholesterol and triglycerides, and hematocrit of 46.6. This was done to evaluate microscopic hematuria with family history of ADPKD. My doctor's nurse called to tell me that the ct scan was normal, but that they had found a liver lesion that they thought was a hemangioma and probably benign. She told me to schedule an abdominal MRI at my leisure as protocol. I've scheduled it for next week and am very frightened. Does this sound like a hemangioma? Ever since the call I've felt mild twinges in my upper right abdominal area.
Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 36 minutes later
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, hemangioma is the increased number of dilated blood vessel. It is a benign condition. It is different from your other problems and it is an incidental finding.

From your history, it is evident that there are no symptoms of this hemangioma. The symptoms are pain in the upper abdomen, feeling of fullness in abdomen after taking small amount of food, lack of appetite, nausea, vomiting.

I am telling you these because if you do not feel these then you need no treatment for this type of lesion. But if you feel these symptoms you need treatment for this. Here I can tell you the feeling you are experiencing right now is most probably due to your worrying.

Surgery is the mainstay of treatment. The position, size, all are necessary for appropriate surgery. For proper visualization and for information about its position, MRI is required.

So, calm down. Right now, you need not to worry. Just go for MRI scan. Then consult with your treating doctor about it.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor