Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Slightly elevated blood pressure, low heart beat. Feeling dizzy when working. Is it normal for my age?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10458 Questions
my blood pressure is about 154 over 84 with heartbeat of 52 and when I rest and
then start doing something, i feel a little dizzy, this has been going on for a few
days and my blood pressure has been in the range of 150 to 156 over 81 to 88
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

A blood pressure of 154/84 with a pulse rate of 52 is excellent for your age. This is not likely to be the cause of dizziness that you are having. The more likely causes are-

1. Cervical spondylosis - giving rise to cervical vertigo
2. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) - inner ear problem
3. Neurological - arising from brain
4. Cardiac cause - improper heart rhythm
5. Gastritisacid reflux from the stomach can cause dizziness with vomiting, this happens occasionally.

The most common ENT cause for dizziness is BPPV (Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo); this is a condition of inner ear wherein there is dislodgement of the otoliths (small stone like things present in the semicircular canals of the inner ear) into the semicircular canal causing dizziness. Usually this lasts for few seconds to few minutes and it is noticed on getting up from the bed or rolling over on the bed.

The second most common cause is cervical vertigo secondary to cervical spondylosis. It so happens that the blood vessels passing through the vertebra gets compressed on turning the head/bending forward, leading to reduced supply of blood to the brain and causing dizziness.

Irregular heartbeats also known as arrhythmia can also cause dizziness because of improper blood supply to the brain.

I would advise you to consult an ENT surgeon to first confirm the cause of vertigo i.e. the exact diagnosis whether meniere’s or proprioceptive disorders or any neurological cause by evaluation and investigation (Magnetic Resonant Imaging, audiogram, etc)

The treatment will depend on the cause and its severity.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor