Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Slightly elevated blood pressure. Taking wild salmon fish oil supplement. Recommend a better supplement

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
I've been taking a Wild Salmon Fish Oil Supplement...a friends told me I should find a better supplement though because the one I take has 1000 mg of fish oil but only 107 mg EPA and 93 mg DHA. Can you recommend a better one and how much should I take every day? I am healthy, 65, with slightly elevated blood pressure but no other problems.
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Vitamins
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 5 hours later
Brief Answer: There are many alternative sources. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Though there is no clear cut consensus on the amount of daily intake of Omega 3 fatty acids, it is a general recommendation to take a product that provides 700 to 1,000 mg of EPA and 200 to 500 mg of DHA daily in the smallest number of pills. The three principal omega-3 fatty acids are alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). The main sources of ALA are vegetable oils, particularly canola and soybean oils; flaxseed oil is richer in ALA than soybean and canola oils but is not commonly consumed. ALA can be converted, usually in small amounts, into EPA and DHA in the body. EPA and DHA are found in seafood including fatty fish (e.g., salmon, tuna, and trout) and shellfish (e.g., crab, mussels, and oysters). Do not take more than 3 grams daily of omega-3 fatty acids from capsules without the supervision of a health care provider, due to an increased risk of bleeding. For adults with high blood pressure, scientists generally recommend 3 - 4 grams per day, but you should only take under the supervision of a health care provider. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor