Slight pain in lower abdomen and testicle. Noticed blood in urine. Bladder cancer?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Men's Health
Question: Yesterday morning, i awoke noticing small blood spots (size of a pea or less) on my underwear. the small blood spots continue in this second day. i've noticed slight pain just above left testicle and very slight lower abdomen discomfort. This has happened before. it has been approximately 2 years. went on for 2-3 days then nothing until yesterday. Had urologist perform uretheral and bladder inspection --> no issues such as bladder cancer found. as i recall, they ruled out bladder cancer, but didn't have a definitive explanation. seemed like they believed something of a benign nature and i just went on from there. due to prior experience i think i'm experiencing the same thing (e.g., prostatitis-I do have a slightly enlarged prostate (62 yo), but psa good and no indications of cancer (digital exam every 6 mos). Regardless, i suppose i should have another inspection of bladder and kidney. Thank you for your thoughts.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
Since you are very health conscious, needless to write to undergo evaluation once again.
Normally, bladder cancer or blood in urine due to any cause blood SHOULD be part of the urine, either in he initial part of urine or through out the urine.
In your case, i suspect something in the foreskin or the glans. Only this can cause blood spots in the dress.
Kindly get your genitalia examined.
Other things that you had mentioned ( scan and cystoscopy) are due any way.
Hope this answers your query,
Kindly get back for doubts if any,
DR GS
Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Additional facts: 1) i remember the doctor 2 years ago believed the condition was due to epididymitis-again with lower abdomen mild pain and slight pain just above left testicle; 2) there is no visible blood in the urine; 3) there is a slight burning during urination.

To clarify, are you saying from the facts i described that it is not likely bladder or kidney cancer, that is you say "Normally, bladder cancer or blood in urine due to any cause blood SHOULD be part of the urine, either in he initial part of urine or through out the urine."

that regardless, a cystoscopy should be done on a regular basis?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 32 minutes later
Hi
Welcome back.
Cystoscopy is not absolutely necessary. It is done to rule out cancer, as it can occur in your age group.
You get it, blood in the urine is serious and can be due to bladder cancer. The spots that you had mentioned can be due to outside causes - like i had mentioned earlier - in the foreskin and the glans.
If there is burning in urine , it can be simple infection in the urine that can be diagnosed by urine analysis.
Hope this helps,
DR GS