Slight annular disc bulging shown in lumbar noncontrast MRI. What could be the reason for experiencing numbness?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: Lumbar noncontrast MRI shows L1-2 very slight annular disc bulging, L2-3 asymmetric annular disc bulging, L3-4 prominent asymmetric disc bulge which encroached upon ght left neural foramen resulting in moderate foraminal stenosis and mild bilateral facet joint arthrosis, L4-5 broad based 3 mm disc protrusion posteriorly which elevated the posterior longitudinal ligament but no associated spinal stenosis, with midline sagittal thecal sac diameter of 10 mm, bulging disc encroached upon the inferior aspect of both left and right foramina resulting in mild to moderate right and mild left foraminal stenosis, and L5-S1 shows asymmetrical annual disc bulging. I'm 66 years old, and have been experiencing leg numbness and weakness when I stand, not when I walk. Can you tell me what's going on?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have read your MRI report of limbo-sacral spine (lower back). It shows slipped discs at multiple levels, resulting in pinching of nerves at those levels. These elves travel to the legs from lower back. Therefore, compression of these nerves result in weakness, numbness and pain in the legs. Initial treatment would consist of medications such as pregabalin to relieve pain and physiotherapy (including back extension exercises). You should avoid lifting heavy weights and bending forwards while standing. Some people may aloud require surgery, if the above measure do not help. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in