Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Skipped heartbeats. Done with EKG. What is wrong?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions
Hi - I am a 48 year old male in good shape - Run 3 - 5 miles four days a week and spend my other nights at the gym.
I have been experiencing what I think are PAC's quite regularly lately and was wondering if there is something I can do to control/cure these types of heart beats.
It typically never happens during the day - however - it happens at night when I start to settle down.
Last night - I had these what I will call skipped beats for a couple of hours. No pain or discomfort - just a feeling of uncertainty as to what is happening.
I went to see a cardiologist (Dr JeeJeeBhoy) and she asked me to wear a heart monitor - At the time - everything was great and there were not issues so nothing was detected - If I were to wear one tonight - you might see a very strange EKG reading as my heart beats are all over the map
Looking for some advice / help
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Well arrythmias can be there.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your history there is a definite possibilty that you might be having arrythmias thats why your doctor asked you to wear a heart monitor so that 24 hour recording of your heart beats will be available . It is possible that arrythmias occur for some time and terminate on their own .

They may be provoke by some events like exercise etc. thats why a detailed study of the EKG is required to establish the pattern and thus treat them accordingly . Anti arrythmic drugs need to be prescribed after determining the type of arrythmia whether it is atrial or ventricular.

Take care.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor