Skin sensitive to cold, looks red and stings. What is the remedy?

Dr. Polash Sannigrahi

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have a lump in my right arm pit, that comes and goes. I have also noticed that the skin on my head is very sinsitive to the cold, with chills and sweeting. My skin is also very red and stings, I only seam to notice the skin issues when i am cold.
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly view the details Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Regarding the symptoms as mentioned in your post, kindly let us know about the following: 1. Any history of recent illness? 2. Sensitivity of skin to cold, with chills and sweating can be secondary to systemic illness like Diabetes, Hormonal or Metabolic imbalance. Is there is significant past history of systemic disease like Hypertension, Diabetes, Thyroid disorder, Tuberculosis, etc. ? 3. Any recent history of Stress, improper nutrition & lack of sleep? 4. Any history of prolonged intake of certain medications? 5. Presence of similar lumps in other parts of the body? If your answer to the above mentioned questions is NO, then the symptoms can be attributed to secondary effects of cold or flu. The lump in the arm pit is enlarged lymph node, which is indicative of an infection. Symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of: 1. Antihistamine preparation like Allegra 60 mg twice a day or Tablet Levocetrizine 10 mg in the evening. 2. Antibiotics (under guidance from your Physician) to take care of the infection causing agent. 3. Multivitamin & multimineral supplements including iron, calcium & Vit D needs to be added in your diet. If you still find any difficulty, kindly get certain investigations like complete blood count, fresh estimation of blood pressure & blood sugar levels & Thyroid profile done to rule out any pathological cause for the symptoms. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Till then, maintain adequate hydration & proper nutrition status, get good sleep, exercise regularly and avoid stress. Wishing you a Good Health. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Thanks & take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later
Are there other symptoms that I should look for when dealing with the Hypertension, Diabetes, Thyroid, or TB? The skin thing is at its worst when I am at work in the afternoons. This is almost non issue on my days off, could this be a stress issue? I take a multivitamin, and try to eat healthy and drink tons of water. I don't go to the gym but I stay very active with work and doing things around the house. I am 5'6" and 170 pounds, so I don't think I am totally over weight.
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 39 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly view the details Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your follow up query. Systemic diseases like Hypertension, Diabetes, Thyroid, or TB comes with a wide range of symptomatology. Confirmation can be done only after a proper clinical examination & co relating the findings with investigation reports. Based on the fact that your skin symptoms are appreciated more during working hours, the role of Stress can be suspected. Relief can be obtained with relaxation measures & anti anxiety medications (to be taken under guidance). As mentioned in your post, your height is 5 feet, 6 inches & weight is 170 pounds. Accordingly, your BMI (Body Mass Index) can be calculated as 27.4 which falls in the Overweight range. Based on the above observations, it is needed that you take certain measures regarding your diet & lifestyle such as avoid fast food & lipid XXXXXXX diet, maintain adequate hydration, regular exercise, avoid stress & practice meditation. It is appreciable to know that you have already started following them. If the symptoms still persist, kindly get the investigations done as mentioned in my previous answer. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.