Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Skin rash, gall stone present in the scan, pregnant. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
Dear Sir/Mam, My Wife is in third 1st month of trimester of her pregnancy, couple of days back she got a rash and admitted for two days at hospital, she is fine now but it is seen in the scan that she is having gall stone measuring 10-11mm size, what is the treatment for her at this time and can she take Ayurvedic medicine like LIV 52, will it have any impact on pregnancy?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 5 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern for your wife.

Gall stones are routinely found on ultrasound scanning of the abdomen. They are usually asymptomatic. It does not require any treatment unless it becomes symptomatic or unless it is quite big.

In case of your wife, it is 10 to 11mm. This is not a health concern now. You can wait till she delivers and then repeat the scan. It may require surgical intervention at a later stage but not right now.

There is no robust evidence that LIV52 ( Ayurvedic Formulation) has benefit on gall stones in pregnant women, although most physicians suggest it. To leave the confusion let your doctor prescribe it for your wife.

The mere presence of gall stone without symptoms is least likely to have any impact on her pregnancy and its outcome.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your further queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor