Skin infection in groin region, used ring guard, micogelnitrate. Treatment for scar removal ?

Dr. CS Narayan

Posted on Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi. i have skin infection in the groin area for almost 10 years. kindly suggest some creams. i have used ring guard and micogelnitrate .i got some relief, but the scar is remaining.
Answered by Dr. CS Narayan 13 minutes later
Dear Mr XXXXXXX

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

I understand you need help with your skin condition near the groin.

I would need you to answer the following questions before I can provide a close possibility of what your condition is.

1. Did you self administer "Ring guard" and "Micogel Nitrate" or took it on prescription ?
2. 10 Years is a long time. Have you not visited any dermatologist in the period ?
3. How do you know it is infection ?
4. And are you using both simultaneously ?
5. Any sexual history ?

My advice to you for now:
1. Its beyond time you showed that skin lesion to a dermatologist.
2. Only after a clinical diagnosis which may involve tests, a suitable medicine is used.
3. You already have used antifungal creams, that too 2 similar ones.
4. So, just maintain proper clean hygiene around the area till the visit.

Scarring occurs due to superficial fibrosis of the skin, that has been undergoing changes since 10 years. That is not an immediate worry as the infection per se. And moreover creams alone may not help to remove the whole infection from your body.

I hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations or further new queries as you prepare to make decision regarding future care, do not hesitate to reply.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Radhika
Follow up: Dr. CS Narayan 17 hours later
No i haven't consulted any doctor before. yes, but one of my friend had a same problem so his doctor administered him Micogelnitrate.
iam not married yet.
Answered by Dr. CS Narayan 19 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for the reply.

You should follow my advice in my answer above.

Never buy the same medicine that is prescribed to another, even if you think you have the same condition.

And reply back with any test results - so that I can explain you.

Follow up: Dr. CS Narayan 50 minutes later
pls advice. i had neva undergone through a test program/
Answered by Dr. CS Narayan 8 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for the reply.

I advice you to consult a good dermatologist at Vishakapatnam. He will refer the tests you need for confirming diagnosis if he cannot make it out clinically.

If tests are needed to confirm the diagnosis, either a culture or a skin lesion biopsy (for example, a scraping of the skin) may be done. A KOH (potassium hydroxide) test may be done in the office for quick diagnosis.

Meanwhile keep the skin clean and dry.Wear cotton underwear.
Don't wear clothing that rubs and irritates the area.After bathing, apply antifungal or drying powders.

Reply back from the treatment details of the doctor, and I can explain in here for your condition.