Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Skin growth on the nipple, no pain

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5142 Questions
I have a skin growth on my nipple that has been there for a long time. It looks like the rest of my nipple, like another lobe. No pain, no underlying growth. I'm a 75 year old male.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 27 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

I would like to know few more things to suggest you better.

1. How long has the growth been there?

2. Has the growth grown suddenly?

3. Is there any pain, ulceration of the growth, itching, eczema like scaling?

4. Any recent loss of weight?

Usually, if the nipple extension has been present since you can remember it can be skin tag, hypertrophied montgomeray gland and supernumerary nipple which is just duplication of nipple which can occur on various parts of the chest or front of abdomen. In such cases it is usually harmless.

If this is a recent growth, ulceration, eczema, loss of weight there is matter of concern. It can be possible melanoma, Paget's disease etc.

Since you need a thorough evaluation of this mass, I highly recommend you consult General Surgeon to rule out the above conditions.

If it is skin tag, you can get it removed after consulting with a Cosmetic surgeon. XXXXXXX gland can be removed by electrocautery or laser as well.

Supernumerary nipple can be removed by surgery although some cases have reported removal using cauterisation also.

In the case of suspicious mass, you will need further investigations to rule out possibility of tumors, though very rare, requires a consultation with your Doctor.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor